Earlier this year, we put out a lifer essay contest. We did this so the general public could be enlightened on the issue of a life sentence, how it effects those incarcerated, their families, and their communities at large. Some general focus points include the fact that:
- PA has the second highest amount of lifers in America,
- PA has over 500 individuals given a life with-out-parole sentence as juveniles
- Programs for education, therapy, and general self-improvement are diminishing exponentially
- Wardens and prison guards neglecting and abusing those inside
- The general physical, emotional, psychological, fiscal, intellectual decay that is brought on by a life sentence
- Sentencing reform; finding humanity in those who the system dehumanizes.
All of our essays have been submitted and judged, so let’s have a party to celebrate the winners and celebrate the legislative and humanistic progress made by all those in the movement inside and out.
Donations at a sliding scale of 5 -20.